The German controllers at Frankfurt Airport were a short tempered lot, they not only expected you to know your parking location but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground and a British Airways 747 (Speedbird)
- Speedbird : "Good morning Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of the active."
- Ground : "Guten morgen, taxi to your gate.
The BA 747 pulls onto the main taxiway and stops.
- Ground : "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?!"
- Speedbird : "Standby ground, I'm looking up the gate location now.
- Ground (with typical German patience) : "Speedbird, have you never been to Frankfurt before ?!"
- Speedbird (coolly) : "Yes, in 1944, but I didn't stop."